Friday, July 17, 2009

What a week!

Hi everyone! Sorry it's been so long! I've had quite the week! Everyday from 8 in the morning till 9 or 10 at night, I have been out of my room doing something! Each night this week, I have met with a group of 4 or 5 of my students in order to have more conversation time with them and to get to know them better. Each group was delightful and extremely different. Monday night, we met at the school, and I taught them many games such as Speed Uno, Go Fish, and Old Maid. Tuesday night we went to the river and they taught me many games. Surprisingly, I knew most of the games - but with some different rules and different names. Wednesday night, we were going to go to the river, but passed the table tennis place along the way and got side tracked. I taught them Amish Ping Pong, which was really fun! I also could tell my students were starting to think in English when they told a Mongolian woman "thank you" in English when she took our picture. They laughed and laughed. Then, on Thursday night, a group of girls taught me to make Mongolian milk tea and to play Mongolian games. I want to bring some stuff home to make the tea for people to try, and my students gave me the games, so I can teach those as well. One of the games is played with ankle bones, and the other with some kind of bone, maybe a leg bone - I'm not sure, but it was so much fun!


Then, today in class, my students informed me that they had planned a picnic instead of afternoon class. ha ha. Well, I spoke to my leader and since it had been suggested by the teachers who were here before us we decided it would be ok, IF my students agreed to a few things, such as speaking in ENGLISH! They were great about it. About 5 of the students took the lead claiming that they "didn't even know Mongolian," and if any of the students started speaking Mongolian, they would say, "What are you saying? We can't understand you." Then, if they continued to speak in Mongolian, we would make them sing! I also taught them silent football, which they seemed to enjoy. They brought all kinds of delicious candies and snacks. My students are doing very well, but I can't believe we only have 7 more days of classes.


I decided that I needed time to relax and do laundry tonight, so I'm laying low, but tomorrow it is off again. I am meeting students in the morning to have conversation time. Then, I am going to one of Margi's student's house for lunch, then I will meet my students, and they will take me to the market and then to the sports gym to play table tenniss and volleyball. Somewhere in there, I will plan lessons!

This has been a great week. About halfway through, I was feeling really down and ineffective, but it has gotten better. And really, I am ineffective in my own strength. However, my students have been so kind and wonderful, they have really encouraged me, and I have enjoyed the friendships!

Today, I was also able to talk to my parents for the first time. It was great to hear their voices, but it made me miss them more. (Hi mom and dad - love you!) Anyways, I am so thankful for this experience, and still have to lift my eyes to the mountains from time to time and say out loud, "I am in Mongolia."


In other news, I'm still fighting a cold, as are Margi and Myron. I also had sheep tongue for breakfast one morning. I always said I'd never eat anything that at one time had the potential to taste me, but never say never! :-) I have also tried a new honey tea, which is really good. My students have started bringing me tea and cookies on my break.


Well, I had some pictures for you, but I'm about to give up. My hour is almost up, and I don't want to go over. Maybe next time! Until then!