Friday, July 10, 2009

Happy Naadam!

Happy Naadam everyone! Today I got to attend the Mongolian National Holiday, Naadam. We saw horse racing and wrestling. We will go back tomorrow. A lot has happened, but I only have a few minutes. It's been good overall - I'm fighting a sore throat, so I need to get to bed. My students are awesome. The best class. They are the least experienced in English, but they go home and study everything and work so hard. I hope my 7th graders are like this!

I don't know if I mentioned it, but flying to Khovd, we were on the same plane as the German ambassador and the president of Mongolia. I spoke with the ambassador, but I only saw the president from a distance.

I also have had more adventures in the food department, including fermented mare's milk, dried cheese, liver soup, and sheep brain. Yum!

Teaching has been a challenge, but a good one, and my students are so generous. I went over to the apartment of some of my students, and we had a great time!

I know I'm missing things, but it's late, so I'll update later - except I have to share this. The woman that has been cooking for us is absolutely wonderful! She makes delicious food and insists we eat it until we're stuffed! In Mongolia, older people traditionally sniff younger people once on each side of the face (Instead of a kiss, or cheek pinching)- The other night, after dinner, she put on awesome music, really loud, and had us all dance, and then she hugged me and sniffed my face. I think this means she's accepted me. :-) She is wonderful. We've had a lot of miscommunications because of the language barrier, but she is great!

That's all for now, I better get back. Thanks for keeping up!